Thursday, March 3, 2011

Before Youtube there was the Tube

I don't watch TV much anymore, and honestly, I'm kind of glad. Sure I miss the good old days of actually wanting to wake up early on Saturdays to watch the Looney Toons, Rocket Power, Doug, Thundercats, Power Rangers, Zaboomafoo, Johnny Tsunami, Boy Meets World, Dragonball Z, Junkyard Wars, and a bunch of other childhood favorites. Of course it's a little difficult having to watch all my shows online when my computer streams video as fast as the fat kid that you always chose to be 'it' in a game of tag. And sometimes I even miss some of the funny commercials that poke fun at societal stereotypes or tell me when the next episode of Smallville is airing. But there is so much NOTHINGNESS on TV nowadays that sometimes I get so bored I actually want to do something productive.

Is American TV falling into the pit of blind, unfocused stupidity that mushes up all genres of television in an attempt to please the most viewers? The answer is no; it already has. Networks used to be so good because they specialized in awesome shows like The Wild Thornberrys and Even Stevens. Now they are following trends of reality TV and giving up on the good stuff to show programs that ultimately are humiliating and down right disgusting, and for what? Some views? A more diverse program schedule? I mean honestly, what kind of worthless media are we exposing to our children and friends, when they could be learning moral values from Goku and the power of teamwork from the Planeteers and how in the end, no matter how bad things seem to be, that your friends will pull through for you and everything will be good in the end, as exemplified in every Disney Channel movie. Instead, we have broadcast networks that sit in offices thinking "People love to watch stupid people doing stupid things, lets do a show about them! No... A WHOLE SERIES!!! Or a show about little people... or, or really, really overweight people? The struggles of one family's life through the recession, or the struggles of a spoiled rich heir in Beverly Hills? OMG WE'RE GOING TO BUILD A FUCKING HOUSE!!! A bunch of bear men with chainsaws cutting down trees? THAT'S HISTORY CHANNEL MATERIAL!!! Pregnant teenage girls who think that they are ready to be in charge of another human life? THAT'S INSPIRATION FOR ALL YOU OTHER 15 YEAR OLD PROSPECTIVE MOTHERS!!!! Why shouldn't your daddy buy you a horse and a new car and rent out a castle for you while you indulge in the affluent privileges with your 600 closest friends."
I don't feel like extrapolating on how much America sucks (for another time), but here's a quick list as to my disappointments of American TV:
  1. History Channel has become the "Hitler Channel" visit The History Channel's Definition of History, this is actually quite a funny and informative article
  2. 16 and Pregnant, Sweet 16, all those other bitchy little girls that should be shipped off to 3rd world Africa to see how the rest of the world lives instead of finding spots on MTV
  3. any show where contestants compete to get plastic surgery done to look better
  4. Are you smarter than a 5th grader (for some reason I really don't like this, probably cause the host basically calls the kids dumbasses to their faces)
  5. Superficial shows (so pretty much all of reality TV)
  6. Flavor Flav
  7. Jersey Shore
  8. Punk'd (I thought this was really mean)
  9. Disney Channel (not that they have bad shows, they just seem to turn out rather misguided people, like Britney Spears, Jamie Lynn Spears, Miley Cyrus, Vanessa Hudgens [YUMMM] and, of course, Lindsey Lohan)
Maybe I don't find so much attraction in television anymore because I have outgrown the silliness of the old cartoons and unrealistic banter. Or maybe it's because TV just sucks now. Too much reality TV where people take advantage of others for the singular reason of attention or network views, like this piece of shit horror from Satan's asshole.

please, even bring back sailor moon, for crying out loud.

No comments:

Post a Comment