Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Hope

So I just watched the end of the election. One word:
AMAZING

Personally I am filled with excitement that Barak Obama had been elected President. I know I hold biased Democratic values, but I am truly happy for America now. There is hope for our country, and we have shown our potential in arguably the most important election in the history of the United States.

We have overcome so much; I remember the Academy Awards 2 years ago, when the host said "usually when we have a black [or a woman] president, the world is about to end." I'm pretty sure he was referring to meteor showers or invasions from space, not that the nation is screwed for electing a black president. Sure, you may make puns about our government and the now "Blackhouse." Sure you can be against Obama's economic plans for our future (but after being in Dwyer's class and previous influences, we know that it will have to get worse before things improve.) Now that Obama is our 44th president-to-be, the comments on Palin are actually quite funny to reminisce about; her incompetence, her naivete, her idiocy; and apparently she declined to comment after McCain seceded. LOL.

So, we have made history. Democrats are back in the executive branch (I substituted that in for 'whitehouse' due to my earlier pun). We have elected a black president. Everyone has been influenced by this election, even foreign countries, with newspaper headlines like 'GObama', and 'The History Man.' Kenya is declaring November 5th a national holiday. So this night have been filled with excitement and gratitude, and I am proud to call myself an American. Some notable points of this night:
McCain was a very gracious conceeder, and many of my friends are either crying or screaming their lungs out, both in triumph and elation. Many of them are saying "Now I won't have to move to Canada!" or "I'm proud to be an American" or are celebrating with alcohol..., but yes, I am happy. I cannot stop smiling, and writing this so soon is not going to do my thoughts justice. My ideas seem incoherent and I can't find the write words to express myself. But in truth, there are no words (that I can find right now) which can fully explain my emotions.


Now if only we can look within ourselves for the tolerance and equality which everyone deserves. Lets go, California. Do the right thing. No on 8.

No comments:

Post a Comment