Saturday, November 29, 2008

Little People, Big World

I don't really like sitting in Chinese restaurants. Chinese people are kind of annoying to me. Yes, I am half Chinese, but I think it is the completely white-washed side of me which is not comfortable with being around little old ladies who scowl all the time and shuffle around with their stupid little Asian visors which serve no other purpose than to hide your identity from both the sun and the public and inhibit the need to bring your hand up to your face when you sneeze.

I'm not being racist here. Have you ever been to a Chinese restaurant where the tables are packed so closely together that you get bumped every time the person behind you moves? How about when people are talking so loudly around you that you can't hear what the person next to you is saying? Or if there are people waiting for a table, they just hover around yours and watch you eat?

Then there's the bargaining. Sure, it's fine if something overpriced is haggled down to what is reasonable for the feeble economy, but going to a supermarket and trying to reduce the price of your shopping list or beating down the price of everything you see in street vendors seems a little rude.

One more thing. I am asian. So whenever I go somewhere Chinese or Taiwanese or Korean or something, I usually go with white people or people who actually speak the language. They take one look at me and deduce that I'm one of them. Then they start speaking gibberish to me which makes me look like a dumb-ass because the only response I would be able to construct is "I'm sorry, I can't understand a word of what you just said. Can you please repeat that very slowly in your broken English" which will inevitably spawn a scowl and disapproving thoughts of me.
I just have to sit there with a blank look on my face going "uhhhh..." But I love Jason's mom (who is korean but still places me in this situation every time I go to their house). She makes the situation hilarious.


Oh well, Chinese people are usually friendly. And they have good food.

1 comment:

  1. ahahaha i love your title! and don't worry, i know what it's like to have no idea what people are saying when they speak chinese... and i'm guessing the picture is ray's shirt that says "white people can't read this" or something like that. but maybe not, obviously i can't read it so i donno if i'm right or wrong. and asian people in general do have good food. sigh the only thing i've been doing for the past two days is editing college essays, so the first thing i thought of when i read this was, "good voice, but this doesn't answer the prompt at all." please make it stop...

    ReplyDelete