Things I will not miss: early Wednesdays, not actually knowing how to play, being bad, and that piercing met. As my first year, I have to say that band has been a phenomenal part of my life and one of the most enjoyable experiences of my high school career. Many people exclaim "why did I join band?" or "I can't wait until the season is over" but for me, the sadness comes from the ending. I guess this is what it is like every year: seniors leave, some who we will never see again, others who will gradually drift away until we cannot remember their names anymore. But being a senior, and this being my first year, the experiences were truly amazing. I am saddened by this end, and if I could, I would definitely revisit these times without hesitation.
Oh, my friends. I remember the end of Junior year, the subject of a battle between my friends on whose section I should join. Somehow I ended up a Tuba, a miracle which I have never regretted for a second. I was intimidated at first, I won't lie. I thought there would be a bunch of buff hard-core ROTC guys screaming at me and my skinny little arms, but instead, my new family was and is one of the best groups I know today. The are funny, crazy, a bit obnoxious, and overall amazing. I love most of you guys to death. :) And then there are my other friends. People who I have always hung out with, people who I re-met after the obstacle of time had separated us since the days of playgrounds, people who I have never known before. Certainly my circle of friends has grown much larger because of band. The stories we have told, the memories we have made, the crazy shit we have done. Don't ever let me forget you guys.

So, this time has extreme sentimental value to me. Learning to play an instrument and marching have been huge challenges for me. I was a complete noob in the beginning of the summer, and probably still am now. But you all have inspired me to improve, to work as hard as I possible could. Granted, some of it is from the motivation of not wanting to be as bad as freshmen, but still, you guys are a driving force. LOL. Then there are our silly games, such as buck-buck, tuba sumo, ankles, and countless other games which involve harassing other people in the name of fun. I only wish I had joined this family sooner.
So I hope too, that the band remembers me. And my butt. Whether I am 'Shimizu' or 'Seven' or 'Bandanna Boy' or 'Victor'sfriendwhodoesn'twearashirteither.' I am leaving this family, but I will always have a part of it within me. Wow, just got shivers down my spine, and that deep emotional feeling which some describe as "crying." Yes, I am very sad. I think I am going to feel this way a lot this year as the fact that I have a whole other life ahead of me, and that I have only 7 more months with this one. I am also very nostalgic, so those albums up on Facebook will be frequented by me quite a bit. So what I really wanted to say was Thank You to all of you who I have met and made my life great. Thank you for the memories. Thank you for the laughs. Thank you for the companionship and the support. And thank you for your time. I don't know how much you know how much this means to me, but I want to thank you all for your time to get to know me, to give me the honor of working alongside of you.
Thank you.

you're welcome sir! but what does ROTC mean? and i've had four months of bliss before too, so i know where you're coming from with the first paragraph. it's too bad you didn't join the mellos though, that would have been even better (for me at least). i'm definitely going to miss band, but i felt that overwhelming thrill of a great performance my freshman year, and i haven't felt it in the last two. so my relationship with the band is sort of like a long marriage that went hollow near the end, and you're still going through the motions, but it's not the same. but every once in a while, something extraordinary happens (good runthrough, beautiful unison chord) that makes you remember why you're in this relationship in the first place. but then, that goes away, and you're stuck wondering if what you're doing is worth the time you're putting into it. for some of last year and a lot of this year, the answer to that was no. but eventually, it came to an end, and although the taste of the last performance was not as sweet as i had hoped, i'm glad that i stayed with it and proud to call myself a member of the saratoga high marching band.
ReplyDelete